Monday, December 14, 2009

Hand-held

Sunday evening consisted of a workmas party (where I won a half pound of Starby's Christ Blend for RSVPing more times than necessary, srsly) and a trip to LACMA with the Jerk and Rubub for an exibit called From the Spoon to the City which showcased furniture and objects designed by architects.  Ernesto Rogers (I-talian) said he longed to design everything from "the spoon to the city". This desire resonated with many 20th century architects, resulting in some pieces you see below. Lucky you. This articulated the aspiration for many of the time's finest to start designing not only the buildings, but that which resided in them as well. Thus, no longer limited to grand structures, the likes of Frank O. Gehry, Michael Graves, and Rudolph Shindler could create (as Charles Eames put it) "architecture that you could hold in your hand".
Me likey.



Graves, Plaza Vanity and Stool c. 1981. I was one. Maybe.



Marcel Breuer, Long Chair c. 1935




Schindler, Bedroom Dresser and Mirror from the Shep commission c. 1936



Gehry, The Bubble Lounge Chair c. 1987. I was 6.



The Jerk sketching an Eames c. 2009. I was 28






Johanna Grawunder, Giolight c. 2007


And completely unrelated...
                                                                
...Debbie D. La La, is this a self sculpture?

3 comments: