Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thought I saw a dead guy on my way to work today

I got up late this morning, a trend that shows no sign of stopping...though I hope it does...and headed west to the un-light-ed intersection of Whittier Blvd. and some insignificant street called Dexford.  I usually make a left here and drive on towards my employment. And today I only had a few minutes to prep before the bell rang for first period, Advanced English as a Second Language, I didn't really know what I was going to teach today. Don't tell nobody. Parked, really, parked facing east on Whittier in the far lane was a beige mommy-van, the kind so commodious you'd expect the entire soccer team to use it as transportation to the game and later, the grocery store. Soccer players there were not, coach? Maybe. A hispanic male was slumped down in the drivers seat with his head on his chest, unmoving. Cars were backed up for blocks, some swerving around him in the next lane, or by the curb to turn down Dexford. There was an ebb in the wave of traffic that I road to turn left and doing so looked at the guy and had to ask, "Is he dead? Why is no one stopping to help?" Probably for the same reason I wasn't, got somewhere to be. In fact, a parent of a student at my school slowed down to look, took a few double takes, and drove on. We do this all the time, don't we? Motorists abandoned on the highway and we say to our passengers,"In this modern age, who doesn't have a cell phone? I'm sure that super cute and totally frail femm is perfectly fine sitting alone in the dark in her car, the tow truck guy will be by any minute, besides, we'll be late". Yeah, I think this too, but it makes me uncomfortable. Remember that story about the 15 year-old who was brutally attacked at school after a dance while a number of people looked on and did nothing? (If you really want to doubt the humanity in humanity, go here, don't say I didn't warn you) The volleying struggle in my mind today centered around calling the cops while driving on to work, or, getting out to go check. But what if he IS dead? I don't want to deal with this. Gotta call the cops, tell them where I am, call the sec Debra, tell her what's up, have her call in a sub with 15 min to spare before first period with out sub plans, wait around for the police, fill out a form or whatever, give them my eyewitness report or whatever, get to work late, explain it the boss... But feeling an overwhelming since of civic duty, or a hefty helping of old-fashioned God-fearing conviction, I turned around, parked, watched three more drivers look at the guy and zip by, then got out of my car. I tapped gently (why gently?) on the passenger side window but didn't get a  response, so I nocked. His head bobbled a bit, his chin rose off his chest a fraction of an inch and his eyes opened. He was only sleeping. Dark red circles were around his brown eyes, the darkest I'd ever seen. He looked around, dumbfounded to see my equally dumbfounded expression imploring him to drive on. He did, and I walked back to my car.
How did it happen that he fell asleep and his car didn't move? What if it had moved and gained some speed? What if he was drunk, he looked so tired. How long would he have slept there? Thinking about it now I probably should have called the police and given them his plate number, just incase he was hitting the bottle at 7 am. But then again, maybe he was just out yesterday coaching a night game at the park that went into extra time. Either way, this is an experience I've never had before, but any commute could offer again. I wonder if I'll stop next time, or just think the same thing we all think, I got somewhere to be.

1 comment: