Thursday, October 28, 2010

Weber for Folio for Golding

Once again it’s time to delve into a discussion on the predicament of the human heart with my freshmen students. The conduit for discovery, argument, and a movement from “the ignorance of self to a tragic knowledge”, for those who haven’t gotten there yet, will be (or so I pray) Golding’s Lord of the Flies.  I challenge each of my students before our reading to try with all their gusto to not find any correlation between themselves and all major characters. It's my belief that a bit of each, the leader Ralph, the intellectual Piggy, the savior Simon, and yes, the tyrant Jack and sadist Roger do reside within all *human souls; or at the very least, a potential. 
And so, in an effort to find some visual cues to assist in this endeavor, I came across some beautiful images by Sam Weber for **The Folio Society's edition of the novel. They blew me away.







 Beautiful eh? But, I also found this one...



Oh you crazy right-wingers.

*Some say that some animals have souls. Did you know this?
**That site is a book enthusiast/art appreciator's dream/lust lounge. Go ahead, spend  fifty bucks on Slaughterhouse 5 or To Kill a Mockingbird. Or maybe a cool $185 on Walden by Henry "Dave" Thoreau.  No biggie.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha. the obama thing is too much.

    I imagine you've seen: http://www.badpaintingsofbarackobama.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah man. I agree. Yes I have seen it! So ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete