Thursday, January 28, 2010

It's Open House

Tonight is the night where we as faculty and staff try to convince any and every potential student and accompanying parent that our school is worth the tuition. I dread this night. Every year I dread this night.
Because...
I'm kinda bad at first impressions.
Meeting new people makes me anxious.
It usually goes late.
I'll need to shave before hand.


By the time it's all over, I've tried to romance a number of people and find myself completely worn out. It's exhausting really. My palms sweat every time someone new walks up to the English department table to say, "So. What do you teach? Are these books appropriate for my student? How hard is the class?" and so on. I realize, however, that this night is THE night for our budget. Without a healthy number of new students each year, our institution would collapse. We need the money. I need a job. These new students ensure both. It's not all about money though, of course. It's mostly about providing a place where parents feel comfortable, comfortable with the curriculum, the spiritual vibe, and the community. Even more so, it's about Calling. Many people who work here feel they have found their purpose. I think I might be getting there, but I just don't know yet. It's so early in my career. Furthermore, I'm freaked out about the possibility that I may have found my life's work. I don't think I want to know this yet. I still feel like I'm figuring a lot out, to be honest, and knowing what the rest of my life may look like, career wise, scares me. There is adventure and excitement in the unknown, at least I think so, and having a clear picture of what was once a vague, blurry image discomforts me. However, it's a great job. It consistently brings new challenges, new experiences, and conversations with some really wonderful people. It's a great place to be. Hands down. And, I really do enjoy the students. So I guess nights like this continue to focus that image of my future, maybe it's an image that has some unappealing forms, but it's still a good thing, something I truly am thankful for, even if I do have to wipe my hands on the side of my khakis every time an inquisitive parent notices the English department table out of the corner of their eye, and decides to check it out.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, my friend! And - as an alumna - I can think of no one I'd rather see inspiring and challenging those kids. You're doing a bang-up job.

    Re. your questions about career choice ... think about it ... how many other jobs offer the opportunity to deal in the economy of wonder and curiosity as education? After 16 years of school counseling, I'm extremely grateful for the new challenges, experiences and conversations that come my way every day.

    AND ... you can't forget some of the best part:

    June, July & August!

    Glad to read your post - good stuff. Keep up your great work.

    Nancerella

    ReplyDelete