Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lent ≠ Lentils


Yesterday was the first day of Lent. A 40-day period before Easter when, generally speaking, Christians choose to deviate from or "give up" anything that may hinder communion with the Almighty. The only time I remember participating in Lent in all the time I've espoused Christian philosophy was last year. I gave up soda. A good friend of mine gave me quite the look when I told her about my decision. Giving up soda was the example she had just given the previous night to the Jr. High group at church about what not to sacrifice for Lent. Truth be told, I never really thought I've needed to participate. I had always believed Lent was some weird Catholic tradition that was based more in meeting expectations of piety than meeting God. A partial goal in participating in Lent, from what I've come to understand, is that by Easter you will have become so used to living without your chosen hindrance that it will no longer fill a space in your life and that God will then replace the gap. Thus bringing you to a richer and more profound walk with Christ. Cherry Coke, my all-time favy-fave, doesn't really have much to do with such a thing. Nor does anything you'll just go back to after the 40 days are up, like chocolate, Facebook,…or soda. Because, really, what would be the point? What about the next three hundred twenty-five and one-quarter days? Though I did tell my friend the purpose in my decision was that I'd be reminded of Christ's sacrifice every time I wanted a coke…yeah…it was the only thing I could think of.
But this year is different.
The use of colorful language and deception is an art, which I humbly admit to have mastered. There's nothing like a well-placed bit of foul mouth. And little white lies can elevate all sorts of awkward social predicaments, as I'm sure you've well experienced. In thinking about the Lenten season and my new found respect for it's purpose, I started to wonder what my life would look like if I never said a foul thing again, or even a lie. Would some find me boring and prudish, or the jockey of one very tall horse? What kind of roles do foul language and untruth play in society anyway? It seems to me that the majority of western culture gets by on little white and big black lies everyday. What's so wrong with truth? Why are we part of a culture that finds little white truths so socially unacceptable…"Well sense you asked, yeah, that does make you look fat…sorry…and no I don't like your new hair cut…and actually, no, your newborn is not the cutest thing on earth, in fact, like most, it's rather horrid looking." I guess no one wants to hear the truth if it’s negative, even when they ask for it*.
Secondly, seedy language certainly provides a sense of false power for anyone brave enough to wield such an implement of shock and awe.
However, if I truly believe that Christ lives in my every being, what place do these things have anyway? How can my mind turn to thoughts of Christ when it's busy being crude and deceptive? Does placating a friend or acquaintance really show your care for them? Can we all stand to grow a little more backbone when the honest truth hits us like a ton of bricks thrown by those we know and love?
I don’t know how long I will make it without slipping back into convenience and habit.  I don't know if I'm being legalistic or realistic. I don't know if this will be a successful part of my evolving relationship with Christ. But that’s the point, I guess, to find out if it will.

*I don't mean to say that we should be wondering around dropping truth bombs whenever we feel like it, but to not be afraid to tell the truth when asked.

9 comments:

  1. and also this: http://blogs.wnyc.org/radiolab/2008/02/27/to-tell-the-truth/

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://blogs.wnyc.org/radiolab/2008/04/28/where-do-lies-come-from/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does that mean you are going to stop teasing and cussing me out every time you see me? What a relief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bonnie.
    And yes, Dan, to an extent. But don't get your hopes up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try giving up crabiness for 40 days. God can still perform miracles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To an extent? So you are following Lent to an extent? Is that like not eating a meal to an extent?

    ReplyDelete
  7. No Dan, it means my teasing will be appropriate. That's all. Don't think to hard about it ok, you might break something.

    ReplyDelete